Our garden has been getting fun lately. It is growing and turning into a real garden.
About a week ago a man who tends the area looking for gophers warned me. He said that if the corn took off and grew well, that it might start disappearing. It wouldn’t be the gophers, though, it would be him! We talked a bit more about the garden, how lucky we’ve been that we haven’t seen gophers, and about our “fence”.
When we started the garden Paul put up a fence. I thought it was silly. It was mainly to keep out bunnies of which I had never seen any around here. He said last year he kind of remembered seeing one. So, to me it seemed like a lot of work for a “there might be bunnies.” The fence was up, but then when I expanded the garden for a few more plants we never put it up around the side that is closest to this big open field.
Well, the day after the pest control guy threatened to steal my corn I was out pulling weeds and came upon a stalk of corn that had been eaten down to a nub! I couldn’t believe it. I got Paul and we put the fence up.
Now we’ve actually seen the bunny, but so far he hasn’t gotten in the garden. It doesn’t look like it has even tried. It is sooo cute!
Now I did have to tell Paul I was happy that our corn was tasty enough for the bunny to eat and that if it’s good enough for the bunny it’s good enough for me. You may remember my blog about genetically engineered crops and how the critters won’t even get close to them. Paul said I was crazy, but I don’t care. Then again I am a little crazy, but not so crazy that I’m taking the fence down to let that rabbit eat all the corn.
If the bunny sticks around until harvest I promise I’ll throw a treat out for it.
3 comments:
man, i just left a funny little comment and now my internet is having troubles. . something about being a humanitarian or is it a bunnitarian? and coming over for some corn at harvest time. . .love ya. oh and you're father's day post being very thoughtful.
hey, I have not checked the blogs in a while. How exciting about your garden and great to have a fence!
Thanks for your post about Father's day. I think that you really resemled your heavenly Father in sowing seeds of spiritual fruits (esp. when it costs and hurts and you wonder what the return will be, like sending the card.) I am believing more and more lately that God sends mercy, grace and love abundantly back in ways that we are not expecting. So I am excited to watch your garden grow, even if I only get to see it from far away.
Kim
So, last year for Mother's Day my brother went over to our Grandma's house while she was out of town and spent an entire afternoon planting her flower garden. She never mentioned it to him, so he finally gave it up and asked her if she liked it. She gave him a strange look and said she hadn't seen any flowers, and when they went to look, the rabbits had eaten them all! So, you are not alone. Cute but deadly, that's what I always say.
Post a Comment