My girls like the Little Mermaid. I honestly don’t like her. She’s self-centered, unhappy, and weak (waiting for the prince to rescue her). I think she is a poor role-model for my daughters. On a good day I know that “this too shall pass.” But, on other days my controlling personality traits take over and I hide anything princess: books, movies, dolls, music.
Maddi knows the songs of the Little Mermaid very well. She likes the one that is sung in Ariel’s hidden cavern where she keeps all her human things. You know the one, “Look at this stuff, isn’t it neat, wouldn’t you think my collections complete, wouldn’t you think I’m a girl, a girl who has everything….but who cares, no big deal, I want more.”
Well, Olivia, repeats everything Maddi says and has started singing as much as Maddi. Olivia has created her own version of the song and simply sings “Isn’t it neat I’m a girl who has everything.”
I know the time will come when she’ll correct herself and sing the song the “right” way, but I smile when I hear her version and think it is right. It is right to be content and full, to be able to rest and not always be wanting for more. What a great lesson for me to learn; isn’t it neat I’m a girl who has everything!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oh goody. . . i was hoping that a comment on my blog meant you'd been on to post recently, and you have. . . this is a cute story. i used flaxseed instead of eggs, i love flaxseed so yes. . . they were tasty, even got a thumbs up on the taste scale from mike and my father in law who ate like ten. they were also made from whole wheat pastry flour. anyway. . . i'll write more, but i'll hold out until you write that email :) and don't worry too much about the princesses.
Post a Comment