Thursday, April 26, 2007

Speaking of Earth Day

I went to Saver's yesterday and got some canvas bags to use at the grocery store. I was very proud of myself. We've recycled for a long time (and it also always makes me feel proud too), but have alway just used paper or plastic bags at the store. When I was in line at the store the lady behind me said to her daughter, "Hey we need to get some bags like that as well." That made me glad. She had seen it on Oprah (also who reminded me) and though she looked a little bit like a hillbilly I thought, that is really cool.
So, what are you doing to consume less, reuse, recycle, etc? I'd love to hear your ideas.

4 comments:

The Gearharts said...

I don't let Jeff brush his teeth with the water running. We recycle paper to make cards, and the kids and I made Jeff a birthday present out of things we can find here (shells..which we actually picked up at an early birthday party for him)We also have a compost pile that is reeking right now.
However, we have kept a few diaper company's in business the last couple of years. I use wipes, we produce piles of trash, and we drive in our car at times just to escape the heat.
I am making an effort, but we are not there yet.
Amy G

The Gearharts said...

OK... First of all, according to Paul, there is no new water! If it is going in circles does it really matter at what rate? Second, when Amy wants to take a hot shower... it runs for a very long time before she gets in. Take the cold shower to better your environment is what I always say.

BTW, The bag thing is a great idea... (I might make Amy try it).. however, I am not much of an Oprah fan.

Jeff G.

Kristi said...

Thank you for appeasing me with a comment. I was very sad that nobody gave a toot about my Earth day blog. I actually asked Paul recently about the water question. I asked him if it all just came back around (there's no big toilet in the sky) then why does it matter. I don't know about your water supply, but he said with ours (the ogalalla aquifer) that we are draining it at a rate much fast than the rain water can refill it. Does that make sense?? Some places actually try to harvest water out of the ocean instead of actually waiting for rain clouds to do it, but it is a very expensive process.
I really didn't care much for Oprah, but I've just been on a kick lately. I pick and choose what I watch, but sometimes it's a nice positive escape for me.
Thanks again for saying hi,
Kristi

tim rush said...

I don't think Jeff should be brushing his teeth with the water to begin with. Climb up on your roof and peek in your tank. You won't like it.