Friday, April 18, 2008

Genetics

I found out an interesting thing a few weeks ago. I went to San Diego with my mom and the girls for a great aunt's funeral. She was in WWII as a nurse in England. It was a military funeral, they played the taps (sorry if that's not the right way to say it) and presented one of her children with a flag. It was really an inspirational ceremony.

While I was there I learned more about my family on my mom's side. One of her cousins told me what she remembered of my grandma. (I never knew her well because she was not healthy prior to her death.) So, my mom's cousin said she remembered that my grandma always looked like she stepped off the cover of a Vogue magazine. She made all of her own dresses, hats, gloves and shoes to match.

So, now it all makes sense. What, you may ask. Well, now it makes sense to me that my oldest daughter will ONLY wear dresses. It makes sense that they have to be FANCY. And it makes sense when she cries for an hour and refuses to get dressed because of all the options she has NONE of the dresses are so "foofy" that they prevent her from going through the door. OH YES, we battled one day because she wanted a dress that was full and wide, so wide that she wouldn't be able to go through the door.

I've always wondered about her preferences. I consider myself easy-going and I know that many times I lack fashion sense or honestly just don't care. I don't feel like I created my girls to be as picky as they are about their clothing.

But now I'm definitely wondering if it's just in her genes!

3 comments:

The Gearharts said...

Abby loves to pick out her own cloths. She actually does a great job. She will where a jean dress like a jacket over another dress and at first I say "NO", but she says "It is suppose to go this way", and I think "hey it is kinda cute, maybe I could learn a thing from her".

Happy Passover

Su said...

Ah. Well, not your fault, then.

My mum had the opposite problem; she couldn't convice my sister and I to dress girly without serious threatening. Now the threats don't work either, hee hee.

And my teenage cousin is the same way; she wears dresses for funerals and proms, and that's it. Yep, it's in the genes all right.

Anonymous said...

ha, we are having some of the same fights with Karsyn. Kim